2020 Production Goals

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      ,Harry

Another community I am involved in has started a thread for people to state their music goals for 2020. I thought it was a good idea, and wanted to start a thread here. It’s akin to Shrike’s updated Lamp Session rules, asking people to state their intent to participate.

It’s pretty simple. Make a post stating what you hope to accomplish with your music in 2020. You can reply to your post with any updates throughout the year.

"Knowledge kept is knowledge lost." - Bobbito Garcia

,Harry

Here are my 2020 music goals:

– 4 quarterly sample & preset packs released for free, consisting of found samples, self-made wave tables. 25 files per pack, release on January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1.

– 6 finished collaboration tracks, of at least demo quality. Currently sitting on unfinished collabs with four other artists.

– 12 finished solo tracks with aim to sign at least one to a notable label compilation (Guidance, Metalheadz, Program, Sofa Sound, Symmetry). Bigger stretch is to have a solo single or EP on one of my dream labels, or a label that has good artwork.

– 48 sketches (30-60 seconds); 4 per month, spending 30 minutes on each sketch.

– Airplay on a Rinse FM show and/or label podcast (e.g. Noisia Radio in its last few months, Hospital’s democast).

– Find an opportunity to volunteer in my city with a music technology program.

– Design and build out a purpose built project studio in the basement of my new home.

– Improve documentation of studio experiments and work process via my online journal IDK & You Can Too.

– Start & finish Syntorial training by end of March 2020.

– Read Ableton manual by the end of January 2020. And read more of my manuals in general.

,GENIE HQ
      Keymaster

Inspiring goals Harry & a great exercise in general.
      If we can help with any of this, please just get in touch!
      Here’s to 2020 😀

,Harry

Inspiring goals Harry & a great exercise in general.
      If we can help with any of this, please just get in touch!
      Here’s to 2020

Thank you, I appreciate the offer! I will be in touch in the new year.

,Evasion
      Participant

a big list there Harry! good luck!

I could almost paste your list, sort of in a similar place.. although I haven’t tried syntorial, how is it?

I guess I could summarise my list into – keep working and even when uninspired create sample banks etc.

,Harry

a big list there Harry! good luck!

I could almost paste your list, sort of in a similar place.. although I haven’t tried syntorial, how is it?

I guess I could summarise my list into – keep working and even when uninspired create sample banks etc.

I tried the demo lessons a while ago, and had Syntorial on a “buy if on sale for under XX” list. Haven’t had time to start working through it, but will report back.

First thing I’m tackling is the plan for my sample & preset packs.

,Zero Four
      Participant

My production goals

– 8 Finished Solo Tracks in 2020
      – 1 Upload on to a well known Youtube Channel (UKF, Skankandbass etc)
      – Bounce out any elements into my own sample pack to build my own library
      – Spend more time sound designing rather than always trying to make a tune
      – 2 Finished Tracks (Collabs)

,JoWAXXX
      Participant

Long time no see!

My goals:

– Create a 3-4 track solo EP
      – Get airplay on a single track
      – Get a demo signed to a label I love, on a compilation or otherwise
      – Improve my collaboration ethic, and create at least one collab

,Animus
      Participant

To actually participate in 2020. Have been lurking for a couple of years, worked on some material, released a single (small label) and had a 4 track EP ready to go thanks to the lessons here but i woke up one day to failed raid 0 hard drives (i know all the lessons to have been learned here i promise). so starting from scratch.

goals 4 polished tracks one per “season” completed.
      work on 4 other ideas that can serve useful for future productions.
      collaborate with a fellow producer or two.

keeping it simple and achievable. ive released techno records in the past so hopefully this wont be painful…

,Zero Four
        Participant

Is this you?

Animus – Fluorescent (ft. Laurita)

,Animus
        Participant

Animus_Rogue Signal is my DnB release on beatport, everything else has been techno.

,shrike
      Participant

I love this

I won’t get too granular, but for me, 2020 is about:

-Control
      -Finishing more
      -Releasing more

Best of luck to you all!

_-| get to work |-_

,shrike
      Participant

Oh and Harry, you might be interested to know: I’ve gone full Bitwig (and so has Joe). Such a rad DAW. Live workflow with Cubase sensibilities, plus more. Loving it.

_-| get to work |-_

,JOPPA
        Participant

i upgraded to bit wig as well its a bit confusing if someone can help point the way i picked it up for collaborations

,Harry

What were you using before? That might help figure out where to start.

Also, I can knock up a basic template for you, if that would help.

Bitwig has a bit of learning material online:

https://www.bitwig.com/en/community/learning.html

Also, I did some notes about how I set up shortcuts, this might help:

https://www.tumblr.com/idkandyoucantoo/184012743456/moving-upgrading-getting-tools-back-to-how-you

,JOPPA
        Participant

im a propellerheads guy since version 3.0 and dove a bit in cubase 5 i believe worked in rewire now got reason 10 but bitwig looks like you can do a lot more

,shrike
        Participant

You absolutely can do more +faster in BW.

Happy to see this news, Joppa…looking forward to hearing what you make in it!

_-| get to work |-_

,Harry

Oh and Harry, you might be interested to know: I’ve gone full Bitwig (and so has Joe). Such a rad DAW. Live workflow with Cubase sensibilities, plus more. Loving it.

I ended up buying an upgrade to Ableton 10 Suite during Black Friday sales, mainly for collabs, but I’m mostly sticking to Bitwig.

,Zero Four
        Participant

Harry, if you’re game for a collab I have Ableton 10 Suite as well. Would be cool to get some ideas going.

,Harry

Harry, if you’re game for a collab I have Ableton 10 Suite as well. Would be cool to get some ideas going.

I would! About to move house in about a week, but let’s get in touch. Email is [email protected].

,un·der·stand·ing
      Participant

You are got some pretty good solid goals. Mine are pretty simple I suppose, finishing more tracks is on the top of the list. I have one track already back from being mastered that will be released in the next week. It’s the first track I’m releasing under a new artist name, so I really need to have some follow ups soon after. I’m just really trying to keep the quality up which is causing me to second-guess myself and get stuck halfway through songs.

That and DJing more. I took a bit of a hiatus, but I find that when I’m not DJing I tend to listen to far less DnB and not follow current releases and styles as much as I should.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sign In

Sign into your account below and get your hands on April's amazing content.

Forgot Password?

Find out more about our service:

Free Membership Full Membership Your Basket (0 items - $0.00)