1/2 time track feedback pls

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      ,Forgot their name
      Participant

Tried to mix drum and bass and chillout together and created this highly unoriginal piece:

https://soundcloud.com/forgot-their-name/freshly-does-it/s-Bbu8F

Not sure I tried to master it myself, and think I may be ragging it a bit hard, although I did also distort almost everything in the mix so it’s hard to tell sometimes 😛

,Forgot their name
      Participant

ahh can you not delete posts? this forum is as dead as a door nail

,shrike
        Participant

Patience, my son! I’ll get you some feedback soon.

Happy to see this energy that you have. I agree that it can sometimes be a little quiet around here. The only way that improves is through motivated peeps like you.

Be the activity that you want to see in this space!

I’m right here with you,as are many others.

_-| get to work |-_

,bennett
        Participant

If you gain match your limiting (on Pro-L you can do this by holding Alt while adjusting the gain slider) you can hear the effect of your limiting to see if any artifacts are created.

,Adam
      Participant

nice one. i like the track and master. sounds good to me. i dont have tips to improve 🙂

,shrike
      Participant

Ah, c’mon mate, I was just about to have a listen!

_-| get to work |-_

,Forgot their name
      Participant

Ahh thanks to everyone that has replied, I’m sorry for being impatient!

If I could make a suggestion, would be great to be able to edit posts, I did the stupid thing of posting a private link, then making it public, then making it private again must have wiped the original secret link code. It was unintentional.

I’m very motivated, and very sorry! I honestly don’t know what to do with my time other than produce, I need to start sharing more and not sit on tunes for a million years.

But it’s hard as there’s a million other voices to compete with, and hard to get even a few listens (without being like wtf am i doing with my life).

,Forgot their name
      Participant

If you gain match your limiting (on Pro-L you can do this by holding Alt while adjusting the gain slider) you can hear the effect of your limiting to see if any artifacts are created.

I gain match, my worry is the KClip clip limiter I’m using, what i’m noticing if I can try and point it out to you, is the sine sub bassline, is definitely getting clipped so much it’s imparting distortion.

It’s hard though, I kinda like it. I know it’s wrong. I should only clip transients and not long sounds. But meh I’m honestly not sure anyone notices what with the rest of the shit going on. I just don’t know anymore.

,Forgot their name
      Participant

Patience, my son! I’ll get you some feedback soon.

Happy to see this energy that you have. I agree that it can sometimes be a little quiet around here. The only way that improves is through motivated peeps like you.

Be the activity that you want to see in this space!

I’m right here with you,as are many others.

Would love to be a more active member, and get a vibe going. I’m no pro, but I think with the right ears help around here, I can potentially fool people into believing I’m a drum and bass producer 😛

,shrike
      Participant

Fake it til you make it, bruv

May I ask: how old are you?

_-| get to work |-_

,shrike
      Participant

This is a groovy crush of a tune. I’m not detecting any offensive sub clipping, at least in the context of the mix.

It’s like a happy half-time neuro-y thing. I think your musical exploration is going well, lots to like in here. If I had any feedback on something to push a little harder, it might be to take one or two of the signature sounds and give them intermittent longer spacious reverbs, just to create some momentary space outside of the main stage, for some variety/emphasis. It’s something I am working to incorporate into my mixes too: a voluminous soundstage that ensconces the listener.

Something like what is being described in this quick article:

How to Create Width, Height and Depth in a Mix

That last 3% of polish, which is admittedly one of the biggest struggles (in any art form).

Also, we are very glad to have you here. I love the energy, and can feed on it.

And if you ever really need a post deleted just ask one of the mods (Harry or myself) and we can do it for you, no worries.

Keep making music…the logical conclusion is that more and more peeps hear it, and by the point that you are ready for prime time, you will be truly ready for prime time. Keep going!

_-| get to work |-_

,Forgot their name
        Participant

ahh that’s great feedback dude thank you!

I really struggle creating that width in mixes, as you describe, I think your techniques could/would work at a compromise, the thing I find with some of the verby depth stuff if maybe it doesn’t translate too well, or I can’t make it translate into the mastering stage. I don’t know how to describe than show another track. I found when doing super minimal stuff and trying to go for depth AND maximal volume it’s hard to correlate all those things together. Basically the verbs start clipping at times, again I don’t know if it’s a normal thing and people are used to it, or just accept it in context.

All I’ve found is something end’s up getting sacrificed in the mix, I can’t make loud and super depth/deep stuff.

,shrike
      Participant

Yeah it’s the struggle:

Musical + groovy + loud + spacious

We stand on the shoulders of giants, my friend

_-| get to work |-_

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sign In

Sign into your account below and get your hands on April's amazing content.

Forgot Password?

Find out more about our service:

Free Membership Full Membership Your Basket (0 items - $0.00)