Analysis of S5E11: State Of Mind – "Workflow With Bass"
- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 5 months ago by ,James.
2018-05-04 at 17:48:54 #43281,HarryParticipant
Penultimate episode of Season 5, State Of Mind do a walkthrough of the basic stages of creating bass and accompanying lead for a sketch.
01:15 – Drum template from their track “Lockdown” is used to give some drums to work against
01:50 – Starting with crafting a bass patch in Serum
03:30 – Picking a wavetable (WT) for OSC A, and setting LFO 1 to modulate the WT position
– LFO 1 is set to ENV Mode, which allows you to set loop points on the LFO. The SOM guys find that looping like this can add to the groove, gives an old school sampler vibe and funk
05:00 – Second WT, used to frequency modulate OSC A, using the FM (From B) warp knob
06:15 – Trying different wavetables in OSC B to hear how they warp OSC A
07:30 – Adding a flanging filter, assigning OSC A to pass through it
08:30 – Applying FX in Serum’s internal rack, starting with Hyper Dimension
– Explains that pushing Hyper’s mix to 50% or higher makes the bass unstable when it is collapsed to mono
10:00 – Recommends using the global tab’s unison width section to control that parameter
11:45 – Adjusting OSC B’s tuning, which changes the sound of OSC A due to the FM warping
12:20 – Distortion with CamelPhat
13:10 – Looking at the updated patch, plus two variations
15:15 – Explaining the slight variations on the additional patches
16:45 – Looking at FX send, used to create more layers to the bass sounds.
– Done to add spice the bass
– Also adds the benefit of side stepping phase issues that could arise from layering basses
19:20 – Adding Vengence’s Avenger synth to create a lead, to layer on top of the bass
– Aim of creating a repeating & evolving sound
24:45 – Steps to modify the lead
– LFO on frequency
– Delay to create a feedback ring sound, akin to Black Sun Empire’s work
26:30 – A more fleshed out 16-bar sketch, with more variety in the bass
"Knowledge kept is knowledge lost." - Bobbito Garcia
2018-06-20 at 01:16:14 #45409,JamesParticipant
Its very hard to follow this tutorial because of the bought presets they use
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.