Resampling with Outboard gear.
- This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 8 months ago by ,GENIE HQ.
2016-01-30 at 00:11:51 #8235,Evan_DESIGNParticipant
Ive recently wanted to try to resample sounds I’ve been working on by running them out of my daw/interface, through an fx(disto,verb,etc.) and back into the input of the sound card. Im not 100% on if if routing it right, since I’m picking anything up from the input. but any advice would be welcome, especially if you are a saffire pro 24 user and cubase.
2016-01-31 at 19:45:28 #9208,GENIE HQKeymaster
1. If you are doing it internally from inside Cubase, You’ll need to head to VST connections, from the devices tab at the top. Assign and switch on the stereo pair (assuming stereo) that is available. probably 3/4 OUT as 1/2 OUT will be used for your speakers.
2. Now you have created this alternate stereo out, a few fader will appear next to the master fader. So there will be two master faders.
3. If you have something you want to send out of the box, you use the SEND function on that channel and send it to your new output. This will mean the dry signal is heard as usual, and the signal is also sent outside the computer.
4. Process this with whichever box / pedal you like.
5. Then run the outputs of your pedal into your next stereo input on your Saffire (assuming Stereo)
6. Then again head to VST connections and make sure you have an input active that is linked to return jacks from the pedal / fx box.
7. You can then create a new audio track, and either press the audition button on that track, which will mean you can then hear the processing, or press record and then as it plays t will record the processed version back into the sequencer.
8. beware of latency, you will more than likely have to shuffle the recorded audio around a bit later on to get it in the correct time.
9. Remember your signal to noise ratio and have the gain staging correct, i.e loudest at source to minimise noise / hum..
Hope this helps
2016-02-03 at 04:04:55 #10487,Evan_DESIGNParticipant
Wow, yes this was a great explanation of what I was searching for. Much appreciated, I have seen about the external fx tab for using external sends, though I may need to take a second look but I believe my elements version of cubase lacks thus feature, another reason to upgrade.. much thanks again though as I will explore this further!
2016-02-04 at 16:45:23 #10535,GENIE HQKeymaster
There is also another way where you can set up an external instrument so it basically looks like a plugin in your inset chain, just takes a moment to set the wiring up and then any time you want to process something using the outboard you just add the plugin from the list and it does all the routing for you, even accounts for latency. Pretty cool!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.